Monday, February 2, 2009

Chocolate eclair and a day of firsts

I meant to post my first blog earlier. I signed up in January but life and nerves got the best of me. Then I realized. What am I waiting for? A personal invitation? Well, that will never happen....yes, I do have friends that ask for my opinion and sometimes I give my unsolicited opinion. But this is different. I need to just jump in and "do". Please don't misunderstand. Thought has gone into my first blog, what to make? How will I fit this in? So here I am....giving myself the same advise I give my kids. Never avoid a new experience in life because you are scared, and seeing how I am nervous about this why not put a cherry on top?! I decided to make Chocolate Eclairs. Anything that is a french pastry is a bit intimidating to me. So what if it fails? right? It just gives me more fodder for my blog. So here we go. As you can see above it may not belong in an authentic french patisserie, from what I have seen they have the HIGHEST standards. But it tasted quite delicious. My son gave me the thumbs up, my daughter said "mommy, this one is a keeper". Oh, and later that night DH whispered in my ear, "is there anymore left over?" I used the recipe from a Williams and Sonoma "Essentials of Baking" for the pate de choux. I won't print it here since I am not familiar with copyright laws. But I would recommend picking one up. I am planning on baking many more things from this book.

The chocolate mousse was a wonderful ganache recipe from Tartlette's blog whisked with another 1/2 cup of heavy cream until light and fluffy looking. Do not whisk to long, I think that is why my mousse looks a bit grainy.

For the glaze I melted 4oz of bittersweet chocolate over a water bath and simply dipped the top half of the eclair until nicely coated. I didn't allow the "lids" to cool on a wire rack before assembling them so the chocolate did drip down the sides a bit. Not super clean looking but lesson learned. Oh, and remember how mentioned putting a cherry on top? Well, I didn't have any cherries so how about a strawberry on the side instead?

3 comments:

Helene said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! Jump right in...it's a pretty nice pool!!
These look delicious!

Crash course on copyright laws: ingredient lists are not subject to copyright only the method for the actual making of the recipe. As long as you re-write it using your own words and expressions, you are fine. You are "doubly" fine if you add "adapted from X..."
Hope that helps.

baked in alaska said...

Thank you Helen for your advise...I have to say I'm so honored to know you stopped by. I thought I would be all alone here for at least a year.
Thank you again!

Anonymous said...

Hello there. I was visiting Tartelette and came upon your blog. I see you are new just like me. I began a week ago and am learning the whole time. Your intro. made me laugh because I can relate so very well to your comments. What have I been waiting for? Anyhow just thought I would drop you a line and encourage you on your blogging path and hope you stay on the journey. Your cheesecake and plum look simply divine by the way.

Look forward to your next post.