Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Chocolate Fudge Cake with Mocha Frosting

Chocolate Fudge Cake and Mocha Frosting
Gosh! I can't believe it has been a month since my last post. Time flies so fast, however everything came to a halt this weekend. We had Saturday night dinner with friends. Of course I brought dessert, a Wild Berry Tart, but I forgot to take a picture before we all ate.
Sunday we had two big events happen. My son is in a children chorale group. They had a performance this weekend. That I must say was truly fun. They have such beautiful voices. So clear and sweet. After the show we went to Buca's to celebrate my daughters birthday. She is all of 7 years old and she was so excited to eat at the kitchen table. Our waiter had a fun personality and made the experience truly enjoyable.
I made a small cake for the birthday dinner that we could share with friends that night. However my big 7 year old wanted to decorate it and she wanted it to be REALLY chocolaty. Well, I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. The cake was sooooooo rich that we should have ordered a round of milk for everyone at the table. We even had two slices left and shared it with our waiter and head chef. I was very touched at how nice they were to actually try it and compliment me on how I did such a nice job choosing a high quality chocolate. Wow, they can actually taste that?
Chocolate Fudge Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter at room temperature
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3 oz 80% bittersweet chocolate melted
pre-heat oven 350
cream butter and sugar until light. add eggs and vanilla to creamed mixture, beat thoroughly.
Alternately add flour mixture then milk. Beating well after each addition. Add melted chocolate and beat thoroughly.
pour into 2 prepared 8 or 9 inch cake pans. Bake or 35-40 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Mocha Frosting
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups confectioner's sugar (sifted)
3/4 cup cocoa powder (sifted)
2 T milk
3 T freshly brewed coffee
Cream butter and shortening, add vanilla. Gradually add sugar. When all sugar has been mixed in add milk and beat at medium speed. Add cocoa powder then add coffee. Beat at medium speed until light.
When I assembled the cake I did have a few fresh strawberries around so I layered them between the cake with the frosting. I did only make the cake with two layers. However, looking back, next time I will torte the cakes to make it 4 layers to really make it look special when you cut into it.

No comments: